To achieve the rating, Kirbor Homes’ KEE program has a certified HERS Rater do a comprehensive HERS home energy rating on your home to assess its energy performance. The energy rating will consist of a series of diagnostic tests using specialized equipment, such as a blower door test, duct leakage tester, combustion analyzer and infrared cameras. These tests will determine:
- The amount and location of air leaks in the building envelope
- The amount of leakage from HVAC distribution ducts
- The effectiveness of insulation inside walls and ceilings
Other variables that are taken into account include:
- Floors over unconditioned spaces (like garages or cellars)
- Attics, foundations and crawlspaces
- Windows and doors, vents and ductwork
- Water heating system and thermostats
Once the tests have been completed, a computerized simulation analysis utilizing Residential Energy Services Network (RESNET) Accredited Rating Software will be used to calculate a rating score on the HERS Index. A certificate with your home’s rating will be given to you at closing.
The national training and certification standards for HERS Raters were created by RESNET, and are recognized by federal government agencies such as the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE), over 150 building code jurisdictions and the U.S. mortgage industry.